Welcome to Coastal Kids Dental & Braces! Whether this is your child’s first visit, a special dental need, or you’ve had an unpleasant experience elsewhere, we’ve got this. We’re here to make going to the dentist like a day at the park. Think good times, new friends, and a whole lotta laughs. And parents, you’re welcome to stay with your child during the entire visit.
Tips To Prepare For The First Visit:
Going to the dentist can be scary for a child. It doesn’t have to be. The earlier you introduce your child to the dentist, the more comfortable they’ll be. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) recommends children start going to the dentist by age one or within six months of their first tooth. Often, an infant or toddler first visit is simply a short icebreaker to establish the dentist’s office as a safe, friendly place. Taking the time to do this will make subsequent visits stress-free.
- Treat it as a casual sneak preview, not a serious event. Simply make sure your child is comfortable and understands everything that’s happening.
- Ask our staff if your child can walk back and quickly take a look around the office. Let them feel involved in the tour and explain what they’re seeing to reassure them that this new environment isn’t scary at all.
- Plan your initial “preview visit” during a quiet time of day—that way, your child won’t feel rushed or overwhelmed.
While you’re here, we’ll share some tips on brushing, flossing, and other cavity-preventing habits.
What To Expect During Your Visit:
Here at Coastal Kids Dental & Braces, we’ve set up our offices to make nervous kids comfortable during every visit—especially the first one.
Our kid-friendly waiting rooms are filled with TVs and video games to help children relax before the appointment. Spending a few extra minutes hanging out in a fun waiting room can be a perfect way to ensure a stress-free introduction.
- Our welcoming staff will provide home-care instructions, a dental hygiene goody bag, and a new patient T-shirt.
- Dental x-rays will be completed as needed, and our highly trained pediatric dental team member will perform a cleaning.
- The dentist will then provide a comprehensive oral exam and discuss findings and recommendations with parents.
- Your child’s visit ends with a trip to the prize wall to choose a surprise.
We want you and your child to leave here looking forward to your next visit to Coastal Kids Dental & Braces. See you soon!